Monday, September 23, 2013

Portland Tri

The Portland Tri was held at Cathedral Park here in Portland.  It was the Olympic distance NW championships so it drew some fast guys.  The forecast was for rain but it was mostly dry for the race.  I heard they got some heavy rain during clean-up though.
I sound like a broken record, but I just haven't been swimming much at all.  I haven't been to a pool yet this year.  I did get out to Hagg Lake twice before the race, so I knew I could at least get through the distance.
I just tried to relax and swim straight.  I could tell I need more swimming practice but it didn't seem too bad.  I finished in 29:43 which put me right in the middle of the field.   And, I was happy to see that my Garmin said I swam .94 miles which means I swam a straight line for once!
The bike is by far my strongest sport, so I was able to pass an awful lot of people during the very windy 40K ride.  I didn't go all out as I really wanted to be able to have a decent run but still managed a respectable 60:23 split (though I think it was a bit short).   That was the 6th fastest split of the day.  Sometimes I wonder why I don't just give up on this tri stuff and stick with bike racing.   But, of course there are probably 100+ local bike racers that could go under an hour on a 40K course.
The first mile of the run was uphill so I didn't really know if I had good legs or not until it flattened out over the 2nd mile.  Thankfully, I DID have good legs and ended up running a 45:42 for the hilly 10K.  I had horrible blisters that cost me a little over the last couple of miles but I'm pretty sure that was my fastest olympic race ever so no complaints.
I ended up getting 36th overall, 9th in the 40-44 age group and a time of 2:19:45.
This was a fun race.  I hope I can do it again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment