Thursday, October 17, 2013

Weather + workouts

Well, I guess we picked the right year to do a November Ironman.  I really thought I'd be riding for hours on end in the pouring rain (while John was hanging out in Kona).  But miraculously it's been beautiful weather for a couple of weeks and looks like it is going to continue for awhile.  
I have actually been to the pool twice now.   I hate the pool.  Enough said.
All real swimmers, and even most wanna-be swimmers do intervals.  I'm 100% sure that is the right thing to do to get fast.  But, I'm just not interested.  I just go and swim without stopping.   It might cost me 10 minutes in an IM swim, but I'm saving myself from many hours of torture.  It's a good trade off as far as I'm concerned.
The Garmin 910xt is really an awesome tool for swimming hacks like me.  It counts the laps perfectly, tells me how many strokes per lap, etc.  It's quite interesting to look at the data post-swim and see just how I fall apart.  I seem to get slower and slower in an almost linear way as time goes on.  That is proof that my swimming fitness is bad.  But, I can get better quickly.  I swam 1.2 miles the other day in almost exactly 40 minutes.   So, I can say with 90% certainty that my IM swim time will be between 1:15 and 1:25.   I can live with that.
I'm starting to dread the weekends, even with this nice weather.  I know it means a LONG ride and a long run.  I'm tired of those things, but these workouts ARE ironman.  Race day is just a celebration of the work you did in the months leading up to the race. These weekends 1 month out are the most crucial part of the whole ordeal.   So, I do them.
I did a 16 mile run Saturday at 7:53 pace and a 90 mile ride on Sunday at 19mph.  I'm getting better at both, but I'd still expect my ride to be more like 20mph at this effort.   It could well be because the legs are tired from the Saturday run.  
This weekend will be my biggest weekend with 95+ ride and 18 run.   After this, my runs will get slightly shorter.   I can feel the shinsplints, knees, etc. complaining.  Priority #1 is getting to the start line injury free.  I think I might do my long runs on the trails from here on out just to save the shins and knees as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment