Friday, July 19, 2013

Open Water Swim #2

Last night's Open Water swim was much nicer than last weeks.  Or I am getting my proverbial sea legs back.  Open Water swimming is so much more different than pool swimming, especially the breathing.  At least for me it is.  I find I have to adjust my breathing technique a bit and LEARN to sight better.  I still must look like a salmon swimming up stream or a sailboat tacking up river.  I am probably the only person out there that can turn a 1 mile swim into 2 or 3.  Must be from my sailboat racing days.  :-)

It was another good turnout and the folks at Zing3 Endurance Training are the best.  They really help folks out, everything from zipping up your wetsuit to giving direction and confidence building for first timers in open water.  I feel much better about this weekends swim now.  Last night's session allowed me to get my open water rhythm back.

I have been feeling a little down since last week's open water swim.  This is week 11 of my training plan and a lower volume week (4th week in a 4 week Build Phase block).  I have been pushing it the last three weeks and this dropping the volume is a hard thing to do.  It's also been hard trying to get the needed rest to absorb the last three weeks efforts.  I feel a lot better today.  I am packed and ready to head out tonight.  We decided to head up to Lake Stevens tonight instead of Saturday morning.  Hopefully this will allow me the opportunity to do all the check-in after a good nights sleep instead of rushing on Saturday.

Here we go.  First 1/2 Ironman............

"Strength does not come from physical capacity.  It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

John

No comments:

Post a Comment